Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Review: Sally Hansen Color Quick Pens

*sigh*

I normally wouldn't even try a polish pen like this. Mostly because they are all expensive, with FAIL damn near written on the box. But yesterday, I spotted one lone Sally Hansen brand color pen at my neighborhood Dollar Tree so I HAD to give it a try.
I got the blue one, number 07.  It had a pretty cobalt blue box and a picture of a perfect nail with COBALT blue polish being applied to it so I was pretty excited.  You guys know how I obsess over dark blues...
This is what it looks like when you open it up.  Pretty funky huh.  When I saw and felt the brush I literally said out loud,  "OMG FAIL".  Surprisingly it doesn't suck quite as bad as it looks like it would.  Anyway I am showing this picture because I always wondered what they looked like opened up.
Here it is at 3 coats. Its SUPER sheer dude. Don't you love how this is a Caribbean island blue green shimmer polish?  Check out how FAR off it is from the swatch on the pen itself...Ok maybe it's not THAT far but it is NOT the same color and it is NOT the cobalt blue I ordered!
Here it is next to the box...(sorry about the flash) Seriously could they not just put the correct polish color in the pen? How hard must that be? PRETTY FREAKIN HARD APPARENTLY.

As far as application goes it wasn't a total nightmare like I had anticipated.  Granted, it was pretty difficult to get the hang of it and of course I didn't read the directions and clicked the pen about 15 times trying to get the polish to come out and ended up with it all over myself and my desk.  

The box says "Manicure in minutes! Just click to dispense color, brush on and go!"  For the most part this is true. Once you have painted your nails with it and removed it several times like I did, you really get the hang of it!  I can see how these pens could come in handy as long as you don't care what color you are actually buying. The dry time was really fast so that's a plus and the whole idea is pretty cool, so by no means is this a down right negative review.  Basically for a regular girl that isn't a freaky polish obsessed person, blue is blue and this pen works just fine. 

Love, MM

13 comments:

  1. oOOH! I bet it would look nice over black... of course then it isn't really a "quick" manicure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MEH!!! I wouldn't have paid the $10 they normally charge for it. False advertsing to the max as with most of Sally Hansen in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeweled Thumb- Nope not quick to put over black but probably quicker than the 3 coats it takes. LOL!

    Skulda- Damn straight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you cracked me up! How hard is it to honestly represent the color you're packaging?! Seriously. *sigh* Anyway, it's a pretty color - if you're willing to put in all the effort to a product that's supposed to be brush and go.n There's NO WAY I'd pay the regular sticker price!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked up a few of the Nicole ones from TJ Maxx on clearance a few months back. I agree, the brush isn't as horrible as it looks. It's actually pretty handy for a pedicure, if you are running out the door and don't want bare toes. I found it really useful for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got some Nic's sticks on clearance like this. Quite disappointing to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol you are the best! love your blog :)

    I always wondered about those pen-polishes, now I know the truth

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg...yeah. i'm totally not buying nail pens ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing.. Im always wondering how this pen look like after u open it..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have two of them that I got as gifts. I got the sally hansen one in the pink franch manicure color, it was fine not
    the nicole one i was actually excited for because it looked like this super pretty green. BUt it was so sheer I gave it to my friends daughter:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got some of these pens, but not this color. The ones I have require a lot of shaking up before using, then they're fine. I keep a clear one in my purse for shine touch-ups. Too bad it didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Dollar Tree had an entire BIN of these, all in this color. My guess is that the color inaccuracy is the reason why they're being sold at a discount.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also love how small the brush looks in the picture on the box. It looks pretty ginormous in your pictures, like it's almost the size of your index nail.

    Captcha for this comment: Sally. Scary.

    ReplyDelete